A HEALTHY START TO THE NEW YEAR: Roasted Veggies & Freekeh Bowl.
Getting back into my routine and eating healthy again after the holidays and can’t seem to get enough vegetables. Brussels sprouts are what I am craving so made this roasted vegetable bowl featuring them, plus whatever veggies I had in the fridge. Came out soooo good, I might make it again this week. You can switch out the freekeh with quinoa or rice to make it gluten free. This can also be vegan or not, just add some goat or feta cheese on top or leave it off. I made two versions, one with goat cheese sprinkled on top and a yogurt/sriracha sauce for my husband and a vegan version for me with no cheese and a cashew cream/sriracha sauce. We both like a little spice in our lives so the sauce was perfect and we devoured our bowls and wanted more😋! Use whatever veggies you are craving. Just make sure to include the roasted Brussels sprouts and carrots, they are the stars of this dish. I also threw in some dates and a sweet red bell pepper for a bit of sweetness and to balance the tartness of the lemon and heat of the spices. It really worked!
RECIPE for ROASTED VEGGIES & FREEKEH BOWL
(Makes about 2 huge servings or 4 smaller bowls)
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 sweet red bell peppery
- 1 parsnip (optional)
- 4-5 big, fresh mushrooms
- 5-6 leaves fresh Chard or Kale
- 1 cup cracked Freekeh or quinoa or brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 4 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup toasted & chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives for garnish ( optional)
- 1/2 cup plain organic yogurt or 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 2 – 4 Tbsp sriracha sauce ( depending on how hot you like it)
- Wash & cut off ends of Brussels sprouts, then cut big ones in half.
- Wash carrots, trim off ends & slice in half, then into 2 inch pieces. Do the same with the parsnip.
- Toss Brussels sprouts, carrots & any other root vegetables you are using with olive oil & season with salt, pepper & 1 tsp garlic salt. Spread on foil lined baking sheet & roast in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Check every 10 minutes to prevent over-charring the sprouts.
- While veggies are roasting, start cooking your grain according to directions. Freekeh & Quinoa only take about 15-20 minutes. If using brown rice start before roasting veggies as it takes about 40 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms, seed & chop the bell pepper & chop the stems of Chard into 1 inch pieces. Roughly chop the Chard leaves.
- Dice one cloves of garlic and smash the other one with your knife. The smashed one is for your sauce.
- Zest one lemon then juice it and set those aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a big stir fry pan and add mushrooms, Chard stems, bell pepper & diced garlic. Sauté a few minutes then add Chard leaves. Add dates & cook for a few more minutes. Add half of the lemon juice and about 1/8 cup water to create a bit of sauce.
- Remove roasted veggies from oven & add to mushrooms and Chard, mixing well. Season with the spices & salt/ pepper to taste.
- Check your grain and when it’s cooked turn off heat & let sit while you make the sauce.
Spicy Sriracha Sauce
In a small bowl, stir either the yogurt or cashew cream with half of the lemon zest, half the lemon juice and smashed garlic. Add a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir in as much sriracha as you like and mix well. I put it in a food-grade squirt bottle and let everyone add as much as they want!
11. To serve, put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup grain in a bowl, cover with roasted/sautéed veggies, garnish with toasted, chopped almonds, chopped chives or fresh parsley/basil leaves and a BIG dollop of the Spicy Sauce. Sprinkle with Goat or Feta cheese for the non-vegan eaters.
DIVE IN! So nutritious and delicious. Perfect recipe to start off your healthy eating habits for 2018👍!