I haven’t posted in ages but it’s St. Patrick’s Day and I had to make some Irish Soda bread and something with potatoes and cabbage! Here’s my version of a vegan Colcannon, a classic Irish dish with cabbage and potatoes, but this version has no dairy and I added a few extra ingredients like carrots, green beans and mushrooms.
My recipe for Irish Soda Bread is on my March 17, 2018 post. You can check it out. Super easy to make! Here’s just a few of my favorite places in Ireland!
As you can see, I’ve been looking at photos of my trip to Ireland a few years ago and listening to Irish music so I am really in the mood for some Irish food! Even without the cream, this soup/stew is really yummy. Plus, with Irish Soda bread slathered in vegan “butter” there is no need for cream😋.
RECIPE FOR VEGAN IRISH SOUP/ STEW
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4-5 medium potatoes (I used Yukon Gold), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 2 cups greens – I used kale & spinach
- 6 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6 cups vegetable stock (use more if you want it soupier, less if you want it thicker like a stew)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP Braggs Liquid Aminos (optional)
- 1 TBSP Mushroom powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil then add onions, garlic and celery. Sauté until they begin to soften, then add mushrooms. Cook a few more minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrots and cook about 5 minutes. Add the greens and cook until just wilted.
- Add potatoes and all the stock.
- Add the bay leaves and all the seasonings.
- Cook on low heat, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are soft but not mushy.
- Serve in large bowls with big chunks of Irish Soda or Brown. Read, slathered with Vegan butter (or regular if you choose)😋