Wow! As John Lennon said “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans”. My life got so busy this past month I rarely had time to cook, let along post any blogs. But I’m back just in time to share this hearty, healthy and super easy, recipe to help make cooking during the holidays simple, fast and delicious! It is gluten free and vegan or vegetarian… your choice, just leave off the eggs on top. Serve with salsa or siracha if you like things spicy! It also just happens to have a festive holiday look with the green and red veggies🎄.
RECIPE for POTATO GREENS HASH
(2 very generous servings)
- 1 bunch Chard & Kale (3-4 stalks each or just use one type of green)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 1 Small onion
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh tomato, diced (Optional, for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Herbs like basil, oregano, parsley & thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Dice both kinds of potatoes into cubes ( peel the sweet potato but not the Yukon Gold).
- Heat a pot of water & when it boils, add some salt & all the Dice potatoes. Cook until just tender, not mushy. Drain well.
- While potatoes are cooking, wash & chop up all the greens.
- Peel & dice the onion & garlic.
- Remove seeds from bell pepper & roughly chop.
- Dice up the fresh tomato if using & finely chop any fresh herbs.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil then add onions, bell pepper, chopped Chard stems & garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Drain the potatoes well & add a bit more oil to sauté mixture. When oil is hot add the potatoes & cook on medium-high for a few minutes to get a crispy exterior.
- Add chopped greens. Cover for a few minutes to help wilt the greens. Remove cover, stir everything together & add the fresh herbs, smoked paprika & salt & pepper.
- If you are adding eggs, make 2 holes in mixture & slide an egg into each spot. Cover & cook until eggs are done. You can also place pan under a broiler to cook the eggs faster.
- To serve, divide hash into two shallow bowls with an egg on top of each. Garnish with fresh tomatoes, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (vegan or regular) & serve with a side of salsa or your favorite hot sauce.
A super easy, very nutritious and filling meal for these pre-holiday, busy days. Note: Leftovers are excellent for breakfast😋