Since peppers are coming on strong in the garden right now, I wanted to make something to feature them. Sweet, hot, mild and everywhere-in-between, there are so many peppers to choose from! I decided to make Veggie Fajitas featuring peppers and, of course, the zucchini and tomato abundance that is inevitable every summer.
You can make these really spicy by using more of the hot chilis, like poblano, pasilla, or jalapeño; or use all sweet peppers for less heat. I also threw in some green beans and made a fresh tomato salsa with a few tomatillos added to serve with the Fajitas. This dish is vegan and gluten-free (if you use corn tortillas), as an added bonus! Here’s the recipes for the Fresh Salsa and Veggie Fajitas. Feel free to use your own favorite salsa recipe. Serve with a fresh ear of Mexican corn (recipe coming soon) your favorite Mexican beer and sit out on the deck and enjoy these Dog Days of Summer!
Quick Fresh Salsa Recipe (makes about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (I used mostly cherry tomatoes but any variety is fine)
- 2-3 tomatillos, husks removed & diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1/4 lime ( save rest of lime for Fajitas)
- 1/8 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 finely diced jalapeño ( or all of it for hotter salsa)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked chipotle pepper powder
- Handful of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- You can make this ahead of time and store in fridge.
Recipe for VEGGIE FAJITAS (serves 2 – 4, makes about 6 Fajitas)
Ingredients & Prep:
- 2 cups peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced.
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into thin half-rounds.
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 close garlic, peeled and finely diced.
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped.
- 1 – 3 tsp Mexican spice blend (cumin, smoked chipotle powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano)
- 4 – 6 corn tortillas
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, cast iron is great if you have one.
- Add sliced peppers, onions, green beans (optional), and garlic. Saute on high heat until peppers are beginning to soften and brown. Stir often.
- Add zucchini and continue to saute until veggies are soft and getting brown (not burned!)
- Add spices and juice from 2 lime wedges. Turn off heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more Mexican spices, if you like. Let set while you heat tortillas.
- In a dry pan heat each tortilla for about 30 seconds per side. Pile on a cloth towel slightly dampened with water and roll up cloth when all tortillas are inside to keep them warm and soft. You can also heat them in a microwave, if you prefer.
- For each Fajita, place a warm corn tortilla on a plate, fill with about half-cup veggies, top with cilantro and fold over. Serve with a lime wedge and the Fresh Salsa. Note: If you are not vegan, you can also have sour cream and Queso Fresca to add to each Fajita.
- Serve the Fajitas with Mexican corn and a nice, cold beer! Yum😋