It is the summer of peaches around here. Everyone with a peach tree is happily harvesting a bumper crop this year. Since peaches are my favorite summer fruit I am thrilled and have been putting them in everything. This morning I forced myself out of bed super early (on a weekend, no less!!) so I could make peach scones before it got too hot. It is the first time I’ve turned on my oven in weeks but the vision of fresh peach scones was a major motivator and so worth it.
This recipe is not vegan but it is gluten free since I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour. Feel free to use regular unbleached white or whole wheat pastry flour if you choose. The dough is very wet and sticky because of the fresh peaches so use a spoon to scoop it out of the bowl and onto the baking sheet to avoid very gooey hands!
I just made Peach Jam last weekend so a dollop of that on a warm fresh peach scone is the best way to serve these and maybe the best summer breakfast ever!
To make a batch of Peach Jam just peel and remove the pits from a dozen or so peaches, cut into chunks and place in a big stainless steel or enamel pot. Add a little bit of water and juice from one lemon and simmer until the peaches are cooked and it starts to thicken. This can take awhile so make sure to stir it regularly. Use an immersion blender to make it as smooth or chunky as you like. I really puréed this batch so it is more like a peach butter. You can add some sweetener ( sugar or agave) if you want but these peaches were so sweet they did not need a bit of extra sugar. I canned mine in a water bath but you can freeze this jam, too, if you don’t do the “canning thing”. It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks if it lasts that long. It is great on ice cream, in yogurt, spread on toast and straight out of the jar, too.
Recipe for Fresh Peach Scones ( makes about 12 – 15 scones)
- 2 cups flour (gluten free or regular)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek Style yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 cup diced fresh peaches
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into small pieces and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a knife.
- In a smaller bowl add eggs, yogurt, vanilla or almond extract and whisk it together until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and gently mix until flour is incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Add fresh peaches to the dough and fold in gently with a big spoon.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto a lightly oiled or parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until bottoms are brown.
- Remove from baking sheet to a cooling rack.
- These are best served warm from the oven with a big spoonful of Fresh Peach Jam or butter, if you prefer😋.