Last week I made a Grilled Vegetable “Salad” Pizza and posted the recipe. It was so good I decided to make a grilled fruit version with a sweet cashew cream for the spread. It was fantastic and since I had frozen some of the pizza dough it was a cinch to make. We have a big nectarine tree in the school garden and the birds have discovered it, so I had to harvest most of them before they were devoured. You could grill some peaches or plums or do a mixed grilled fruit for this “pizza”. It was great for breakfast the next day, too! The only added sweetener is a little bit of maple syrup in the cashew cream, making this a very healthy dessert on a hot summer evening. We are certainly having plenty of those here in the California foothills!
By the way, anyone have suggestions for keeping the birds away from your ripening fruit (besides bird netting which is a big mess)?
If you want to make the dough from scratch the recipe is on my last blog post “Grilled Veggie Salad Pizza”. Otherwise, you can use your favorite premade pizza dough.
RECIPE for GRILLED NECTARINE DESSERT PIZZA
(makes one 9 inch pizza, enough for 4 servings)
CASHEW CREAM SPREAD
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 2 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 or 6 big nectarines, peaches and/or plums
- 1/4 cup blueberries ( optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds
Cashew Cream Spread:
- Drain water from soaked cashews and put them in a blender.
- Add the water, maple syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon and blend until creamy. If it’s too thick add a bit more water.
- Wash the fruit (do NOT peel) and slice into 1/2 ” wedges. Place them in an oiled grill pan or BBQ wok and gently brush with olive oil.
- Preheat your grill and while it is getting hot roll out your pizza dough to about a 9″ circle and place on a small baking sheet. When the grill is ready put the baking sheet onto the grill, close the lid and let it cook for a few minutes, carefully turn the pizza crust over and cook the other side just until it is firm enough to pick up with tongs and place straight onto the grill. Remove the baking pan and cook the crust until it just gets brown. Turn over and cook the other side until it is crisp and has a nice grilled color. Be careful not to burn your crust. It will be completely cooked in about 10 minutes depending on how hot your grill is.
- While the crust is grilling put your fruit in its grill pan onto the grill right next to your crust. It takes about the same amount of time to grill the fruit as the crust so they will both be ready at the same time👍
- When the fruit has some nice char marks on it, remove from grill along with your cooked pizza crust.
- Spread a thick layer of the Sweet Cashew Cream over the pizza crust, top with an abundance of grilled fruit, sprinkle with a bit of Cinnamon if you like and garnish with blueberries, freshly chopped basil and/or sliced almonds.
Dive into summer fruit abundance on a pizza😋