Sometimes the best things just happen spontaneously, right? I was roasting some veggies to save for a later dish, making some guacamole, then starting craving nachos for some crazy reason ( salty & crunchy is my go-to comfort food category). I was inspired to put it all together and the result was a super healthy vegan version of nachos. A win-win all around with no dairy, lots of veggies and it’s gluten-free, too 😀.
I still had some vegan Chao cheese slices so I used those but it would have been great without any cheese substitute. I used roasted beets, carrots, leeks and onions and want to try it with some other vegetables like maybe butternut squash. If you wanted to add some whole beans (black or pinto) that would be good, too, and would boost the protein. But this simple version was so good I would serve it as an appetizer for any gathering.
The only time consuming part is roasting the veggies but if you cut them fairly small they only take about half an hour. While they are roasting you can make the guacamole and if you are really inspired, some fresh salsa. Fortunately, I had some canned salsa from last summer so only had to open a jar. 👍
RECIPE for HEALTHY VEGAN NACHOS (serves about 4 as appetizer)
- 1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips ( there are some really great multigrain brands)
- 2 organic beets, scrubbed and ends cut off (no need to peel before roasting) – cut into 1 or 2 inch chunks
- 3 large organic carrots, scrubbed and cut down center, then into 4 inch pieces
- 1 small onion & or leek, cut into slices
- olive oil to drizzle over veggies
- Large handful of cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- batch of your favorite guacamole recipe
- 2 slices vegan cheese or vegan cheese crumbles
- Toss the chopped beets, carrots & onions/leeks with 1 TBSP olive oil, then spread onto a baking pan. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until beets & carrots are tender. Remove from oven & let cool for a few minutes before dicing them into small pieces. Peel the beets before you dice them. They are much easier to peel after roasting!
- While veggies are roasting, make your favorite guacamole recipe & set aside.
- In a large bowl or platter, make a thick layer of the tortilla chips. Sprinkle the diced vegan cheese over the chips then heat in a microwave or a toaster oven until cheese “melts.
- Cover the top of the chips & melted cheese with the still warm diced, roasted veggies, spread some of the guacamole on top, then a few spoonfuls of salsa and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Dig into your guilt-free Healthy Vegan Nachos with gusto!😋