Getting ready to start my annual spring cleanse so wanted to start off with a really healthy boost of nutrition and greens to get my body primed! I was reading about wheat grass shots but couldn’t find them around here so decided to make my own version. My first attempt was a fail as I just trimmed the wheat grass and blended it with water. It just tasted like drinking liquid lawn and the wheat grass didn’t blend very well so there were pieces of grass in my teeth and it was just not something I wanted to ever drink again!!
I also decided I wanted to beef it up with more nutrients so I opted to make it into a smoothie with a few frozen banana slices and avocado to thicken it. I also added blueberries, my Boku Super Foods powder, a handful of kale and mint, some spirulina powder, lemon juice and blended it together with almond milk and coconut water. Topped with some chia seeds and mint it made the perfect to-go lunch for a busy day at work. You can always add a bit of maple syrup, stevia or agave syrup if you want it a tad sweeter.
Wheat grass is available in most grocery stores in the produce section. It is in a 4″ pot and looks just like grass (probably because it is a type of grass, haha 😀. It will keep growing after you trim it, so you can get quite a bit off one little container, enough for 4 or 5 smoothies. It usually lasts about a week before it starts to turn brown and stops growing.
RECIPE for SUPER GREEN WHEAT GRASS SMOOTHIE (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup freshly trimmed wheat grass (they sell it in a little pot at the grocery store)
- handful of fresh or frozen kale leaves, chopped
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 TBSP Boku Super Foods powder (you can use Spirulina or Pea Protein Powder iinstead) – I buy Boku Super Greens powder on their website: bokusuperfood.com
- 1 tsp. spirulina
- 1 – 2 tsp. agave, stevia or maple syrup (optional)
- Add liquids to your blender or Smoothie Maker (I love my Ninja!)
- Add frozen banana slices, then the powders and blueberries and avocado.
- Add chopped kale and mint.
- Trim off about 1/4 cup of the wheat grass and add to the blender.
- Blend until smooth and top with chia seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
There is so much nutrition in this you will feel satisfied and very healthy after you drink it. I take it to work and sip on it all afternoon. It really seems to give me a boost of energy which I need after working with children in the garden all day 😋
Starting the day with a great book (Fermented Vegetables), spring daffodils, inspiring quote & a super healthy Wheat Grass Smoothie!👍