I tried something new this past weekend with an abundance of cherry tomatoes, (still harvesting tomatoes at Halloween!) I made TOMATO JAM and it came out even better than I expected. I just ate it on a baked potato… Yum! It would also be delicious as a crostini or on crackers or toasted bread with a dollop of goat cheese. It has a slightly sweet-tart spiciness which would go with lots of dishes 🙂 It’s going to make great holiday gifts, too!
TOMATO JAM RECIPE
- 1-2 lbs. fresh cherry tomatoes (you can use larger tomatoes-just make sure they are heirlooms/good flavor)
- 1-2 hot peppers (padrons, jalapeños, poblano)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Put cherry tomatoes & seeded peppers (in several batches) in food processor & pulse until blended but not liquefied. It should still be slightly chunky.
- Place mixture into a large stockpot & turn on low heat.
- Dice onions & chop the basil & add to pot.
- Add all the spices and simmer on low for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring frequently. It needs to thicken, so cooking time will depend on how juicy the tomatoes are.
- Gather your canning supplies & start heating the water for the processing bath. (See my post from January 8, 2016 “Home for the Holidays, Part 2” for how to can).
- When it has thickened taste & add more seasonings if you like.
- Fill your sterilized canning jars & process for 15 minutes for half-pint jars.This jam is absolutely delicious served with a smear of goat cheese on crackers or toasted bread. You can also use it as a relish on sandwiches, baked potatoes or veggie (and meat) burgers, too! It’s a bright taste of summer when tomatoes are no longer in season.😋